How To Use This Toolkit
The Deinstitutionalization Toolkit was developed by the National Council on Disability (NCD). Its companion piece is a paper, “Deinstitutionalization: Unfinished Business,” which can be found at: www.ncd.gov/publications/2012/Sept192012/
NCD’s Deinstitutionalization Toolkit is designed to provide all those interested in institutional closures and expanded community living opportunities for people with intellectual disabilities and developmental disabilities (ID/DD) with information, strategies, state data, and case studies that can facilitate closure and build community capacity to serve more people with ID/DD in the community.
Specifically, this toolkit is designed to:
- Help develop and support a closure strategy
- Provide facts to combat misinformation
- Share lessons learned from states that have recently closed institutions
- Help effectively support community capacity building to ensure that needed supports are available to everyone who wants to live in the community
- Identify strategies that communities have used to ensure quality of care
Although this toolkit is focused on closing large state institutions, people with ID/DD live in a variety of institutional settings, including large non-state intermediate care facilities for the developmentally disabled (ICFs/DD), nursing homes, and smaller institution-like settings. Much of the information presented here is relevant to these institutions as well.
NCD’s Deinstitutionalization Toolkit is divided into eight topic areas, each of which represents a valuable consideration in developing a successful Deinstitutionalization Plan:
- Case Studies
Within each topic area are three levels of information, which can be viewed or printed as reference material:
- In Brief – A one- to three-page quick synopsis of the topic area
- In Detail – Greater specifics and supporting information behind the In Brief synopsis of each topic area, gleaned from literature reviews and interviews
- In Depth – Resources and external documents intended to provide relevant additional information