NCD announces discussions on disability health issues and public comment opportunity at upcoming meeting
June 30, 2023
WASHINGTON–The National Council on Disability will hold several panels focused on health disparities for people with disabilities during its Council meeting July 12-13 in Washington, D.C.
On July 12, the Council hosts in-person conversations with senior leaders from across premiere associations of medicine, dentistry, and medical education as well as other experts, and self-advocates, to discuss health disparities of people with disabilities, ableism in health care, and how to equip health care professionals to treat people with disabilities to address both.
From 9:15 – 10:45 a.m. NCD hosts a panel on addressing health disparities through disability clinical care competency training.
- Zainub Dhanani, Executive Director, Medical Students with Disability and Chronic Illness (alternate is Nora Newcomb, Associate Director)
- Dr. Susan Havercamp, Director, Health Promotion and Healthcare Parity, The Ohio State University
- Matt Holder, Past President (2014-2016), American Academy of Developmental Medicine & Dentistry
- Dr. Priya Chandan, Clinical Associate Professor, Division of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Louisville School of Medicine
- Chloe Rothschild, Board Member, the Arc
From 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. NCD hosts a panel discussion on responding to health disparities of people with disabilities.
- Dr. Jonathan Perlin, President and CEO, The Joint Commission
- Dr. George Shepley, President, American Dental Association
- Dr. Geoffrey H. Young, Ph.D, Senior Director, Transforming Health Care Workforce, American Association of Medical Colleges
- Dr. Bruce Scott, President Elect, American Medical Association
- Dr. John R. Combes, Chief Communications and Public Policy Officer, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education
Following the panels, NCD invites the public to provide comment on disability-related experiences and barriers encountered in obtaining appropriate care.
More information is available on our upcoming events page at https://ncd.gov/events/2023/upcoming-council-meeting.